I’ve been on the fritz from running since February and therefore been sentenced to swimming and cycling as my only forms of workout. Trying to make the best of it, I joined the Frisco Athletic Center for the pool. Besides, I was beginning to get odd looks from the trainers at the Frisco YMCA for the amount of time I would spend on the spin bike … like, “is this girl ever going to leave?” “I bet she doesn’t eat either?” I felt like yelling out “I’m not a calorie-counting freak but an endurance athlete trying to get in her miles!” But, before I went off at someone I figured more time in the pool was in order. (Not to mention, “who can talk on the phone and “workout” on the elliptical?”) I needed some time away from the gym rats. Off to the wild waves of chlorinated waters…. And for real this time! (I had tried squeezing in a quick swim between teaching classes at the Town North Y – which translated to almost never 🙁 )
Joining a new gym is like joining a new sorority. I feel like I’ve been going through pledging! It’s been a bumpy road learning all the inner workings of a new place I’m about to call home. Each gym has it’s own personality, it’s own character, it’s own groupies! Where can I fit? I’m not sure yet. But, I imagine a day not far from now I’ll feel like a real part of the FAC clan . And, perhaps even wear those “FAC” letters with pride? Or, maybe not – but you get the idea 😉
Well, since my inaugural visit at FAC I’ve learned a few things. Call it my “pledge week” if you will …
- They have no soap in the showers. Nope. Definitely had to use my prissy girlie shampoo to wash the body.
- Wait for it… no towels in the showers either! Yes, it’s bring your own towel too. I made the mistake of once not knowing and a second time forgetting to bring a shower towel. (And, I don’t mean to brag, but I’ve gotten pretty good at drying off with a hand towel big enough to wipe down an ab roller.)
- So, string leopard print suits are frowned upon? Just kidding. (Sorta)
- Swimmers DO NOT share lines – hence the side eye glare I got from the skinny Asian when I tried to “sign” that I was joining Lane 4. Try again Simon. Try again.
- All the athletic equipment is upstairs so it’s like a friggin sauna all the time. Now, I hate to be cold more than anything in the world but I wasn’t expecting Bikram elliptical and Bikram cycling?
- I need to hang onto my membership card. Yep, I have barely been a member one week and I have lost my card. It’s $5 to replace – can you imagine how many of these I am going to go through this year? I am thinking about hiding it in somewhere in the FAC lobby for safekeeping? Surely no one would mind?